Re-blocking solutions in Ballarat


What is restumping, re-blocking and underpinning?
See our work
Restumping or re-blocking

Restumping and re-blocking are two terms used to describe the process of placing a house on jacks, removing old timber stumps, levelling the house, and fitting the house with new, durable concrete stumps.


Underpinning is the process used to reinstate a wall that has suffered structural distress due to failure of existing foundations, usually due to poor foundation depths dug during original construction and ground movement.

This process involves digging under the existing footing, lifting the wall back into the original position and stabilising it on a large concrete pad.

Fully licensed and accredited stumping service

Will my floorboards need to be removed?
In most cases the stumping can be completed without removing the floorboards, as long as there is a minimum of 600mm clearance between the ground and the floor.

In the occurrence that some or all the floorboards need to be removed, they will be replaced once the subfloor work has been completed.

What damage will occur as a result of restumping or underpinning?
Restumping or underpinning may result in internal cracking of plasterwork as walls and floors are returned to their original levels. The level of cracking will depend on the type of plaster and the extent of work.

Great care is always taken when levelling the house to minimise any cracking. In most cases, cracks are very minor and easily repaired.

How do I know if my house needs restumping 
or underpinning?
Restumping needs
  • Sloping floors
  • Cracks in plaster
  • Doors or windows not opening and closing properly
  • Floors bounce or squeak when walking across them

Underpinning needs
  • Cracks in brickwork
  • Windows have separated from brickwork
  • Internal plaster cracking

What mess will restumping or underpinning make?
We at Smythesdale Restumping & Underpinning Service takes great pride in our work and are committed to leaving every job in a clean and tidy state. We will remove any old stumps or dirt left from underpinning. You can request for us to leave any materials for your personal use. We keep the work area tidy throughout the completion of our restumping and underpinning project.

What materials are used when restumping?
We prefer to use concrete stumps, but in some instances timber or DuraGal® stumps are used. All materials used meet the same building standards.

Do I need a council permit to have my house restumped or underpinned?
Yes. All restumping and underpinning work requires a council building permit. This law is due to the substructural work, which Smythesdale Restumping & Underpinning Service will obtain on your behalf.

Are you licensed and insured?
Yes. Smythesdale Restumping & Service is fully licensed with the Victorian Building Authority, DB-U 13791. We have Home Warranty Insurance and Public Liability.
Share by: